Republished from a post on the Cascade Bicycle Club forum.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION POSTING
OPPORTUNITY: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Bike Works is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader to become its next Executive Director. Ideal candidates will provide the vision and leadership necessary to translate our mission and values into action while maintaining a supportive, growth-oriented work environment for employees and an energizing sanctuary for youth and the community.
Bike Works is a nonprofit organization based in Seattle whose mission is to build sustainable communities by educating youth and promoting bicycling. Bike Works has been working for youth, bikes, and community in Seattle since 1996. Our programs and services invest in young people and encourage bicycling as a clean and healthy transportation alternative. Our programs include Earn-a-Bike for youth, Street Burner youth bike club activities, Summer Bike Camps, Neighborhood Rides, an Annual Kids Bike Swap, domestic and international bicycle donations to charitable organizations, and more. Our Community Bike Shop serves a diverse customer base with used bike sales and affordable repairs.
Since 1996, we have grown from a startup program into a thriving, established organization that is well-respected in the community. Each year approximately 250 youth, ages 9 to 17, participate in our programs and gain the skills and resources they need to translate lessons about confidence and leadership into their own lives, helping them make healthier decisions about their futures. Each year we redistribute close to 2,000 used bicycles to families in Seattle and internationally. Our current operating budget is approximately $600,000, our staff includes 11 part- and full-time positions, and our Board is made up of 13 skilled and committed volunteers.
The Executive Director assumes primary responsibility for leading Bike Works in fulfillment of its mission and vision, including management of fundraising and administration, ensuring staff capacity, coordinating activities with the Board of Directors, and overseeing the organization’s finances.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS: The successful Executive Director will:
1. Exhibit strong leadership, strategic vision and human resource management skills;
2. Value cultural diversity and reflect a deep and abiding passion for the mission of Bike Works, specifically youth empowerment and bicycle transportation;
3. Possess experience providing strategic and business leadership to a small organization embarking on a phase of potentially significant growth and change.
4. Have proven ability to secure significant funding from individuals, foundations and government agencies;
5. Understand the internal and external workings of a 501(c)(3) organization;
6. Be a resourceful problem solver and have a sense of humor.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director’s role and responsibilities include the following:
1. Lead staff, Board, volunteers, and other key stakeholders in fulfilling mission and adhering to strategic plan. Includes supervision of three department heads who manage programs, the community bike shop, and fundraising. Critical focus in the coming years will be on translating our mission, vision, and values into annual action plans, defining and measuring success targets, and prioritizing and solving key organizational challenges.
2. Work with the Development Manager to develop annual fundraising goals and oversee implementation of strategies to achieve them. Play an active, leading role in engaging with current and prospective institutional and individual donors. Oversee revenue generation through bike shop. Manage cash flow and expenses and prepare monthly reports.
3. Manage operations, including HR policies & procedures, payroll and benefits, insurance, taxes, and oversight of bookkeeper’s work with payables, receivables, and financial records.
4. Supervise, mentor, and inspire staff; ensure a healthy work environment that attracts, maintains, and motivates quality staff. Develop annual staff review process that is aligned with our mission and values, schedule and conduct meetings and retreats as appropriate, and ensure staff member effectiveness.
5. Support and inspire the Board. Develop materials and reports for monthly Board meetings.
6. Ensure that Bike Works maintains a visible and vibrant presence in the community by fostering collaboration with partner organizations and speaking passionately in public forums. Maintain strong organizational image.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have developed the following skills through a combination of significant professional experience, community engagement, and/or formal education:
• Commitment to our Mission: Passion for building sustainable communities, educating youth and promoting bicycling.
• Fundraising: Demonstrated success in cultivating, stewarding, soliciting and securing major gifts. Experience seeking and incorporating best practices from across the nonprofit sector for development purposes.
• Leadership and Management: Ability to inspire, mentor, and build the skills of a small, committed, hard-working staff. Experience with or interest in working as a part of a team in a small nonprofit organization and being a part of a creative, fun, healthy, flexible and collaborative work environment.
• Communication Skills: Ability to effectively and persuasively communicate our mission verbally through one-on-one interactions and public speaking opportunities, including ability to connect with youth, staff, donors, the board, and our community. Excellent writing skills a must.
• Organizational Skills: Strong organizational and operational skills, including finance, HR, and development. Ability to formulate and execute plans efficiently and effectively. Solid computer skills to work with a tech-savvy staff.
• Critical Thinking Skills: Demonstrated experience solving complex problems and responding to adaptive challenges.
$45,000-50,000 (starting salary depends on experience). Bike Works offers a medical benefits program, a generous vacation and holiday package and a flexible work environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit our website at www.bikeworks.org for more information about Bike Works. Send your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Position open until filled; however, applications received by January 7, 2011 will receive priority consideration.
Bike Works is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity of race, color, national origin, gender, and sexual orientation.
Cadence Tour de France: Wine and Watch Party - I’m not watching the Tour this year…for the first time since I started Bike Hugger. I don’t have a laundry list of reasons to share… The post Cadence Tou...
6 hours ago